We went to the ope
n house to meet his teacher and learn his way around the classroom last Thursday. And then today was the big day!Caed loves Sid the Science Kid and that's has been his closest understanding of preschool until today, so we spent some time talking this morning about how Sid goes to school without his mommy and daddy, and all the fun things that he gets to do while in school. But when it was time to head to the van and go, Caed became a little apprehensive.
Caed did a good job once we got into the preschool suite. He washed his hands as instructed, held on to me a bit and then traced his name on his little name card and put his backpack in his cubbie. He got real excited when we pulled out his green blanket and was looking around for someone to show it off to :).
He slowly made his way to the table with some other boys to work on a play dough activity and he seemed to be in the groove at that point. A hug and a kiss later, that was not the case. He immediately clung to me again and pleaded with me not to leave. So I hung around a bit longer. His teacher, Ms. Sara, showed him the picture schedule of the day and showed him when I would be returning, and then slowly made his way back to the table to continue his play dough activity. In a moment of concentration, I took my cue and headed for Lydia's stroller and then the door. Caed looked up for a moment and darted for me. The look of sheer terror was all over his face! I felt terrible. (This has happened at church before, but that was in an environment he was familiar with and comfortable in, so I wasn't too concerned.) But I stayed strong and tear-free and continued through the door and out into the lobby. (That's when I teared up a bit!) I could hear him cry and call for me! I hung out in the lobby for a little bit to make sure he was going to be ok, and thankfully, within a minute or two I didn't hear him any more.Lydia and I headed back to pick him up at 1:30pm and I could hardly get him to leave! He was certainly excited to see us, but continued to talk about the fun activities he had done and didn't want to leave. Great job, buddy! You'll be back again on Thursday.
1 comment:
What a great first day :) I really like Miss Sara.
Post a Comment