Tuesday, August 26, 2008

Brad Was Right ...

It turns out that Brad was right after all. Just as the olympics came to a close Sunday evening, my contractions began and Caedmon began his decent into this world. It all started at 11:45pm, August 24. (If you haven't heard before now, baby Hodgson's name is Caedmon Williams Hodgson. Here's a little background behind his name:
At that point, my contractions continued steadily every 5 minutes for over an hour and we knew that it was time to call the doctor. With the go-ahead from the doctor, Brad and I began to get the last few things together in our hospital bag -- iPod, speakers, laptop, razor -- you know, the essentials and headed for the hospital at 2:30am. (Listening to Coldplay in the Labor & Delivery room was awesome!)

When we arrived, there were no labor & delivery rooms available, so since we had to pass through triage any way, we camped out there until 7:30am and paced our way through the 4th floor hallways to try and speed things up. Once 7:30am rolled around and I had walked over 40 laps between the NICU and the elevators, we were escorted to our labor & deliver room. From there, after a nice, stiff epidural, Caedmon's entrance was not too far behind.

Then, at 12:59pm, August 25, Caedmon Williams Hodgson was born!

2 comments:

Mama Goose said...

Your labor was two hours? What? I think you skipped some parts too. I seem to recall there being more to labor than that...

c. hodgson said...

Well, total labor time was like 12 1/2 hours, but the rough stuff didn't begin until about 10am when the doctor broke my water. And after 30 minutes of that, I begged for the drugs and then the epidural, so the last 2 hours were pretty ok.