Tuesday, November 25, 2008

In Memory of Donald C. Snyder, My Grandpa

We got a call last Sunday morning from my mom and she said that my Grandpa had passed away earlier that morning. At 98, he had been suffering from congestive heart failure for the majority of the year and had rough boughts of pneumonia along with it. But even in that, his mind remained sharp as ever, his humor was even more super-charged, and he continued his morning exercises and economy-following to the T. The funeral is set for Saturday, December 6 and as I prepare for this day of closure, I thought that I would compile a set of memories of his long and giving life. We love you Grandpa!

An Account From Akron University:
"Dr. Snyder was always inspired and motivated by his mother Jennie Lynn Smedley Snyder. Dr. Snyder became one of the Akron area’s most well respected physician-surgeons, recognized by colleagues for his many years of professional service and contributions in the field of medicine, published in scientific journals and listed in Who’s Who in the Midwest. Originally from Medina and a graduate of Case Western Reserve University, Dr. Snyder did his four-year residency at University Hospitals in Cleveland, coming to Akron in 1940. He became the catalyst for developing the first training program for young doctors in obstetrics/gynecology in Akron, preparing hundreds of doctors who became Board-certified in that specialty. With the over-crowded hospitals of the early 1950’s, Dr. Snyder was the first doctor to perform same-day surgery.

Dr. and Mrs. Snyder’s lifetime objective was the value of higher education and helping others."

Boys Will Be Boys:












Grandpa & His Hats:













Let's Dance!:












71 Years Together!:

1 comment:

Brittany Schell said...

Courtney,
I'm sorry to hear your Grandpa passed away. I will be keeping your family in my prayers. Let us know if you need anything!