Tuesday, February 24, 2009

Disguise is Key

I'm happy to say that Caedmon tried avocado again today and he ate it well. I can't say that he had a smile on his face the entire meal like he does when he's eating bananas or sweet potatoes, but he did finish. They were not plain of course ... I mixed them up in his rice cereal and it worked like a charm. Not that rice cereal has an overpowering taste to cover up avocado, but it seemed to fool Caedmon. Congratulations buddy, you're developing more than just a sweet tooth!

Speaking of disguises, I was trying for the past 2 weeks to get Caedmon to drink his water -- only a Tbsp or two -- and I wasn't having much success. I even added a hint of prune juice so give the water a little flavor, but he wasn't very interested. Then, Nana and Papa Tony came for a visit this weekend and everything changed. Nana fed Caed Friday night and helped him tilt his head back to drink the water and it worked like a charm. The water was still spiked with prune juice, but he was at least drinking it and not making sour faces. And then I tried the unthinkable .... I gave Caed water without the prune juice and believe it or not, he drank it. There's still a little fighting, but he's coming around. Thanks Nana for your help!

On another note, we have some exciting news ... Caedmon is getting his first tooth in. It wasn't so exciting last night when he cried hysterically and wouldn't go to bed, but after a little Tylenol and baby oral gel (Brad had to run to Rite Aid at 10pm), we all fell asleep. Caedmon did fuss periodically throughout the night though and I had to give him an extra dose of oral gel about 1:30am, but it wasn't too crazy of a night. It probably helped that I was able to take a nap during Caed's first nap this morning ... poor Brad wasn't so lucky. He woke up at 5:45am to go play basketball with the guys. Sorry honey!

1 comment:

Anna said...

Girl, you are so right... it is funny how babies are the same in so many ways! I felt like you were writing exactly what I was feeling today about the food! Always a challenge... just when I think I figure the girl out she changes her mind about what she'll eat!! Cereal always does the trick though right? No sign of teeth yet... I hope things continue to go well there for your little guy! Talk soon!