For those of you that have been following this blog, you know that Pop has been battling infection and pneumonia for the past month and has battled Alzheimer's for the past 4+ years. (What a terrible disease that is!!! To think that every ounce of brainpower that someone acquires throughout a lifetime can be taken way in the matter of a few years ... and just leaves them helpless! For any of you that have seen this terrible disease, my heart goes out to you! Let's pray for a cure!)
After a long hard road, Pop ended his battle Friday morning, February 27. The nurses called my Dad to let him know that the end was near and he was able to have Grandma head over to the hospital before he passed. (Dad was in Atlanta at the time.) She got there in just enough time to sit by his side, hold his hand and comfort him before his heart stopped. What a blessing ... that after 58 years of marriage, she was able to be with him for his last few moments. But thank the Lord that he went as he did and Dad and Grandma didn't have to make any decisions about whether or not to "pull the plug." And now, Pop no longer has to live in constant confusion and pain!
At 90, Pop lived a
ho later became my Dad, and drove many miles of road with Greyhound bus -- boy did he love to drive! He later became my "Pop" and affectionately called me his "Peashy." (I'm not sure what that means, but that's what he called me :). And to this day, I'll never think of the Little Debbie Nutty Bars the same because of h
im. That was his favorite cookie and for some reason, even though I could read, I always thought they were called "Pop's cookies." It must have been their "secret" name that only Pop and I knew. My friends growing up never knew what I was talking about and I would be like, "You know, Pop's cookies," and they'd be like, "um, Nutty Bars?" I just thought THEY were confused.Thanks Pop, I'll always hold Nutty Bars close to my heart :). I love you Pop, you will be missed!!
A memorial service will be held for him on Wednesday in Cleveland. We're all heading up to Ohio tomorrow. (This will be Caedmon's 2nd plane trip.) Pop will then be buried at the National Cemetary in Marietta, GA, close to my Dad and where Grandma will be living in 2 weeks.
1 comment:
What sweet, wonderful memories! Thanks for sharing them with us. :)
We are praying for your family--peace and contentment. And for safe travel and wonderful time together this week. I know Caedmon will definitely lift spirits with his GREAT smile.
Post a Comment