Monday, May 18, 2009

A Weekend "Away"

It feels like we just got back from vacation ... kinda, but we were only 15 minutes down the road. Mom was out of town this weekend in Hilton Head for her annual DG reunion and Brad, Caed and I headed over to her place to watch the dogs and do some other odds and ends around the house. It was amazing to us how nice it felt to spread out. When you've lived in a 1000 sq. ft. duplex for almost 7 months, when the original plan was to be there no more than 6 months, you begin to feel a bit cramped. Maybe it's not even the smaller space, but rather the layout and our inability to casually hang out outside or hang out as a family in more than just the "family/dining/laundry/kitchen" room.

I feel bad for complaining b/c I feel like I was fairly content about a month ago, but since we've been spending more time at Mom's, I realize what life use to be like when we had more space. Plus, now that the weather is nice on most days, it's difficult to enjoy being cramped up indoors without easy access to the outside. (We can obviously hang out on our front porch, but there's always the constant hum of Wade Avenue traffic .... And we could spend some time in the backyard, but the landscape crew has forgotten about our property and the grass is a bit gnarlly.) These are all reasons why Caed and I escape most days and venture to the park or for a long stroll around the neighborhood ... all of which we would enjoy even if we didn't feel the NEED to get out.

But as we were hanging out this weekend at Mom's, it was just a nice change to be able to grill out hamburgers on the back deck and enjoy the fresh air outside ... and to be able to enjoy the company of friends with plenty of space to spread out ... and to be able to lay in bed with more to look at than the four walls around us and a nice view of the backyard. Thanks for the weekend "get-away," Mom!

No comments: