The morning came early for us today ... at 2am to be exact when I awoke to a flashlight beam and then a big CLANK outside our window. Then, the noise progressed under the house. Scared and not sure what was going on, Brad and I decided to call the cops. I was on the phone with 9-1-1 for about 5 minutes as Brad, Caedmon and I huddled in the bathroom. This was the first time I've called 9-1-1 for myself (I've called in accidents before, but never related to myself). The 9-1-1 operator asked for my name, our location and all the specific details about what was happening. Fortunately, she said that officers would arrive pronto ... and before we knew it, we heard an officer at the door. 4 of them showed up ... no lights and sirens thank goodness ... but 4 of them. It must have been a slow night. They surrounded the house to corner whoever/whatever was under the house and it turns out that it was someone from the gas company! Our duplex neighbors apparently didn't pay their gas bill, the gas company disconnected their service, and they called at 2am and had a service guy come out to turn the gas to the hot water heater back on ... are you serious ... especially in a duplex??? The guy even had his ladder out to get on the roof!! (That was the loud CLANK outside our bedroom!)
Thank the Lord it was ONLY the gas company, but we're a little infuriated that they actually came out at 2am! If they had to come out ... which they really didn't have to ... it was only like 60 degrees or so last night, not the dead of winter, and the neighbors could have waited until morning to get a hot shower ... but if they had to come out, the service guy could have knocked on our door to identify himself at least, so we wouldn't freak out and wake up our 8-month-old child from the dead of sleep!
After it was all said and done, it took us about an hour or so to go back to sleep. I was a bit jumpy and Caedmon thought that it 8am ... so after allowing him to cuddle with us and fall asleep on my chest (it works like a charm, but since he's so heavy, the circulation in my legs begins to slow down after a while) ... we all finally got back to asleep around 3:30am or so. Brad obviously didn't get up at 5:30am to play basketball this morning ... it was just a "wake up by the tv morning with a cup of coffee" ... funny thing is that we watched Noggin and a show by the name of "Toot and Puddles" was on ... ha, that's pretty funny!
3 comments:
Oh my gosh Courtney! I'm sorry that happened, sounds pretty terrifying. Is there anyway you can make a complaint with the gas company?
I agree, complain to the company! Wow I don't know if I would be able to go back to sleep at all.
I call 911 pretty frequently, whether for a health emergency at work or to complain about my noisy neighbors. But for something like that would be very scary!
Brad was going to call and complain today ...
Post a Comment