Tuesday, January 6, 2009

Caedmon's 4-Month Check-Up

Caedmon turned 4 months on Christmas Day and a little less than 2 weeks from then, today, marked his 4-month check-up. (What a joy it is to only go to the pediatrician's office every 2 months instead of every 2 days. Oh how I remember those days.)

I am happy to announce that Caedmon is now in the 88th percentile for weight, 90th percentile for length (imagine that), and 75th percentile for head circumference:
  • Weight: 17 pounds, 5.5 ounces
  • Length: 26.5 inches
  • Head Circumference: 43.6 centimeters
And as is routine for the 4-month check-up, Caed had to get 5 more vaccinations -- 1 oral and 4 combined into 2. Aside from the initial shriek though, C did really well and is now sleeping soundly in his crib allowing his baby Tylenol to do its thing.

A couple fun things we discovered at this visit is that we can begin to give Caedmon solids anytime between now and 6 months. (Some of the books say this, but others say not to start until 6 months to prevent your child from developing allergies. The pediatrician said that the American Academy of Pediatrics says that it's fine to incorporate them into the diet anywhere from 4 to 6 months.) So, I think we're going to try it. We'll probably wait until I can get my hands on the Baby Wise II book, which I've heard helps you begin using the transition into solids as a way to help baby gradually get on your breakfast, lunch, dinner schedule. We'll see how it goes. I'll keep you posted (ha, no pun intended).

And then, just as we were leaving, we discovered that Caedmon already likes cherry lollipops. On the way out of the doctor's office, Caedmon reached for "Brad's" lollipop and managed to get his lips around it. Before we knew it, he had cherry lollipop smeared on the top of his lip and had a big grin on his face. (We'll have to wait for a little bit longer before we make this a regular routine, buddy, sorry.)

No comments: